You’ve been searching for the perfect pup for a while now, and you recently heard about the American Bulldog Pitbull mix, also known as Bullypit.
You’re intrigued, but you’re not sure if this breed is right for you.
Considering the potential size, energy level, and health problems, it’s important to make sure you understand what you’re getting into before you commit to this breed.
Common challenges people have when deciding if a Bullypit is the right dog for them:
- Their size can vary widely, so it’s not always easy to know what size your pup will be when it’s fully grown.
- They have a high energy level, so they need plenty of exercise and mental stimulation.
- They can be prone to certain health issues, such as hip dysplasia and other joint issues.
- They can be aggressive if not socialized and trained properly.
However, if you are up for the challenge, the American Bulldog crossed with Pitbull mix can be a great addition to any family.
Deciding to adopt or buy a dog is a big one, and the American Bulldog Pitbull hybrid can be a great companion if you’re willing to work hard and put in the time to make sure they’re properly trained and socialized.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the breed’s size, energy level, coat, and health, as well as its potential as a family dog.
Let’s get started.
American Bulldog Pitbull Mix Characteristics and Quick Overview
A Bullypit is a large, high-energy breed that is a mix between the American Bulldog and the American Pitbull Terrier. They typically weigh 40-100 pounds and stand 20-25 inches tall, with a medium to large build.
Their coats are usually smooth, glossy, and short to medium-length, with colors ranging from brown, tan, cream, white, gray, red, and black. Bullypits are loyal, affectionate, and intelligent, but can be overprotective and aggressive if not properly trained and socialized.
Here are some of the things that you should know about the American Bulldog and Pitbull terrier mix:
|Price:||$300 to $1800|
|Breed size:||medium to large|
|Coat Type:||smooth, glossy, short to medium-length|
|Coat Color:||brown, tan, cream, white, gray, red, black, white, brindle, or a mix of all these colors|
|Amount of Shedding:||little to none|
|Eyes:||color varies, but never white|
|Nose:||black nose, short muzzle|
|Ears:||high on the head|
|Temperament:||loyal, affectionate, intelligent, overprotective, reserved, can be aggressive if not properly trained and socialized|
|Destructive behavior:||prone to chewing, barking and digging|
|Kid Friendly:||not kid-friendly unless socialized and trained properly|
|Family Friendly:||yes, if the family is active and has experience in dog training|
|New Owner Friendly:||no|
|Exercise requirements:||60 to 120 minutes per day|
|Health:||generally a healthy breed but can be prone to hip dysplasia and other joint issues|
|Breed Recognition:||ACHC, BBC, DDKC, DRA|
|Best suited for:||individuals and active families with experience in training dogs; those looking for a low-maintenance dog|
The Origin of The American Pitbull Bulldog Mix
When discussing the Bullypit, the first thing you need to get a grasp on is some background information on the breeds that contributed to the creation of this adorable pup. So, let’s discuss the Bullypit parent breeds and their salient features.
American Pit Bull Terrier
An American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is a medium-sized, solidly built, short-haired breed of dog with a muscular and powerful body. They have a strong, loyal, and affectionate temperament and are known for their courage and intelligence.
The Pit Bull is a loyal family pet and can make a great companion for an active family. The APBT is a dog that is known for its athleticism, muscle, and boundless amounts of energy.
The American Pitbull Terrier is an intelligent and highly trainable breed of dog. Despite their eagerness to please, they can be stubborn and willful at times.
The American Pitbull Terrier (APBT) has gained a reputation for being aggressive towards other people and animals. However, this behavior can largely be attributed to how the breed is handled and the environment in which they are raised.
An American Bulldog is a breed of large, muscular working dog that was developed in the United States by farmers and ranchers. It is a combination of English Bulldog and other molosser-type breeds, and is used for a variety of jobs, such as herding and guarding livestock, hunting, and as a family companion.
The following are some of the American Bulldog’s notable characteristics:
- Loyal and protective of their family
- Intelligent and eager to learn
- Strong and muscular
- Active and energetic
- Needs lots of exercise and activity
- It can be stubborn and headstrong
- Good with children
- It can be territorial
- Average lifespan of 10-13 years
- Require regular grooming
American Bulldog and Pitbull Mix Pictures
Reasons Why You Should Get an American Bulldog and Pitbull Cross
American Bulldogs are great pets for families looking for an active, loyal, and loving companion. Not only do they make excellent family pets, but they are also powerful and protective guard dogs that can make your home safer.
American Bulldogs are smart, loyal, and have a strong work ethic. They are also known for their muscular and athletic build, as well as their unique look. In addition, they are very loyal to their owners and are known to be extremely intelligent and eager to please.
Here are some of the reasons why you should get an American Bulldog:
1. Loyal and Protective
The American Bulldog Pitbull mix is a loyal and protective breed that is known for its strong bond with its family. This breed is quick to alert its family to possible danger and will do its best to protect them. It is also known for being very affectionate and loving.
2. Intelligent and Eager to Learn
The American Pitbull Bulldog mix is a smart and eager to learn breed. This breed is great for those who want to teach their pup new tricks and commands. With proper training and guidance, it can learn commands quickly and be obedient. It also responds well to positive reinforcement and reward-based training.
3. Strong and Muscular
The Pitbull American Bulldog mix is a strong and muscular breed. This breed is perfect for those who are looking for a pup that can keep up with their active lifestyle. This mix is known for its agility and strength, making it great for activities such as running, hiking, and more.
4. Active and Energetic
The American Bulldog Pitbull mix is an active and energetic breed. This mix will require plenty of exercise throughout the day to stay healthy and happy. They have a well-balanced and powerful body that makes them a great choice for physical activities such as agility, tracking, and herding. This breed is also great for those who are looking for a pup that can keep up with their active lifestyle.
5. Good With Children
The American Pitbull Bulldog mix is a great breed for those who have children in their lives. This mix is gentle and loving with children and will make a great family companion. However, before this happens, it is important to socialize your pup with children from a young age.
6. One of The Best Guard Dogs
The American Bulldog Pitbull Mix is one of the best guard dogs available. Highly intelligent and loyal, these dogs are known for their protective nature and ability to sense danger. They are also very friendly and affectionate when it comes to those they consider family, which makes them the perfect companion for households with children and other pets.
With proper training and care, an American Pitbull Bulldog mix can become a reliable guard dog and a loving pet.
7. Easy Grooming
The American Pitbull Bulldog mix puppy requires low to moderate grooming maintenance. It is advised that brushing should occur twice a week; however, if it is shedding heavily, this should be carried out every day.
Bathing a Bulldog Pitbull mix should only be done when necessary, such as if the animal becomes particularly dirty or smelly. An easy way to clean the dog can be to wipe them down with a wet towel to remove any stray hairs.
Pet owners should ensure that their animals’ teeth are brushed two to three times a week, and nails should be trimmed when they become too long or when they can be heard tapping against hard floors. An ear check and cleaning should also be conducted each week.
Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get an American Pitbull Mixed With Bulldog
When it comes to choosing a pet, there are many factors to consider. For those considering a mix between an American Pitbull and a Bulldog, it is important to understand the risks associated with such a combination.
Such a mixed breed can have a unique set of challenges and potential health issues, as well as a strong personality. Therefore, it is important to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.
Here are some of the reasons why you shouldn’t get an American Bulldog:
1. It Can Be Stubborn and Headstrong
The American Bulldog Pitbull mix can be stubborn and headstrong at times. This mix may not always listen to you the first time, but will eventually learn what you want it to learn. If you are not firm with this breed, it may become disobedient or aggressive towards others.
2. It Can Be Territorial
The Pitbull American Bulldog mix can be territorial at times. This mix may become territorial if it feels that its space is being invaded or if it perceives someone as a threat. If this behavior is not corrected, it may lead to aggression toward other people or animals.
3. Exercise Requirements
This breed needs a lot of exercise, which can be difficult to meet for owners who are not able to provide the necessary time and energy. The American Bulldog Pitbull mix is a breed that needs lots of exercise and activity to stay healthy and happy. This mix is known for its strong work ethic and loves to be active. If you do not provide your pup with enough exercise, it may become destructive or lazy.
4. Hard to Train for Inexperienced Owners
American Bulldog Pitbull mixes are known for being a loyal and affectionate breed, but they can also be difficult to train.
They require a lot of patience and consistency from their owners and can be especially challenging for inexperienced dog owners.
Training should start as early as possible, with positive reinforcement techniques like treats, praise, and affection being used to encourage good behavior.
Successful training of an American Pitbull Bulldog mix requires the right mindset. Due to its confident and assertive nature, the Bullypit only responds to individuals with a similar attitude.
When raised with the right owner, mixes of American Bulldogs and Pit Bulls have the potential to become intelligent dogs capable of responding to directions and exhibiting desirable behaviors. These canines are willing to fulfill the demands of their owners and remain undeterred when receiving training designed to ensure the safety of their families.
Overall, this breed is best suited for experienced owners who have the time and patience to train them properly.
5. They Need a Lot of Space
The Pitbull American Bulldog mix is a breed of dog that requires plenty of space to be happy and healthy. This breed has a lot of energy and needs a large yard or other open space to run around in and get the exercise they need each day. They are also very social and benefit from regular interaction with other dogs, humans, and even other animals.
The Bullypits breed requires daily vigorous activity of up to ninety minutes. A brisk walk or run around the neighborhood, as well as playing fetch, can provide excellent outlets for exercise. Furthermore, they enjoy being taken to socializing areas such as dog parks or other public venues where they can mingle with people and other dogs.
Mental stimulation is essential for an American Pitbull Bulldog mix, and activities like hide and seek can provide this. Without adequate exercise, this breed of dog is likely to exhibit behaviors such as destruction or frustration, just like any other canine.
6. When It Comes to Children, The Bully Pit Is Not to Be Trusted
The American Bulldog Pitbull mix often referred to as the Bully Pit, is a unique and powerful dog breed. However, despite its positive traits, it is important to note that the Bully Pit can be unpredictable in certain situations, particularly when it comes to young children.
As such, it is important for owners to properly train their Bully Pit and ensure that it is well-socialized with people and other animals.
Additionally, owners should always exercise caution when having their Bully Pit around children and never leave them unsupervised. With the proper care and caution, the Bully Pit can be a loyal and loving companion.
7. Health Issues
This breed is prone to many health issues, including hip dysplasia, eye problems, skin problems, and allergies. They can also be prone to bloat and other digestive problems.
This breed is known to be aggressive, especially when it comes to other animals. Proper training and socialization are key to helping prevent this from becoming an issue.
This breed can become quite large and strong, which can make them difficult to handle for novice owners. They may become too much for young children to handle.
What You Should Know About The Pitbull American Bulldog Mix (a.k.a Bullypit)
The Bully Pit, a designer canine, has become a popular choice amongst dog enthusiasts since its introduction to the market. Known for its vivaciousness, sociability, and loyalty, the Bully Pit has the potential to make an exceptional companion for families with children.
To ensure successful integration into their new home, these dogs need to receive proper training and socialization.
Bullypits are prone to a multitude of health issues, requiring specific dietary requirements. Furthermore, certain states in the U.S. have instituted laws prohibiting the ownership and operation of particular bully breeds.
Let’s be clear: the Bully Pit is not for everyone.
In the next paragraphs, we will outline some of the key considerations you should make if you are considering adding a Bully Pit to your family.
American Pit Bull Terrier Bulldog Mix Temperament
The Pitbull American Bulldog mix is a hybrid breed that is highly intelligent and loyal, making it an ideal family pet. As with any breed, it is important to socialize the pup from a young age to ensure that it develops a balanced temperament.
The breed is known for its gentle nature and may be wary of strangers; however, they are very protective of their families and will be loving and devoted guardians.
- Loyal and loving: The American Bulldog Pitbull Mix has the appearance of being lethal, but it is actually a dog that is devoted, loving, and affectionate toward its owners and family in most cases.
- Protective: American Pitbull Bulldog mixes are highly protective of their families and their property, which can make them excellent guard dogs. However, sometimes they are so devoted to their owners and family members that they often become overprotective of them, which can lead to violent behavior.
- Intelligent: Pitbull American Bulldog mixes are very smart and can learn quickly if trained properly.
- High energy: American Pitbull Bulldog mixes require plenty of exercise and mental stimulation to stay healthy and happy.
- Good with children (if socialized and trained): American Bulldog Pitbull mixes are generally patient and gentle with children and can make excellent family pets. That said, keep in mind that it is not safe to leave them alone with children without adult supervision, although they are very protective of the children in their families. This rule applies to any dog, regardless of breed, temperament, and size.
- Playful: American Pitbull Bulldog mixes have plenty of energy and love to play and run around.
- Stubborn: Because bullypits are self-sufficient, obstinate, and sure of themselves, training may be difficult because of their stubbornness.
- Dominant and territorial: Due to their dominant nature, the Bullypit can be aggressive toward other animals in the household, including cats and dogs. It is important to carefully consider whether adding a Bully Pit to your home is in the best interests of your other pets.
If you are looking for insurance coverage for your four-legged friends, Lemonade offers customizable plans and customer service that is attentive to individual needs. It is worth considering this insurance in case you want to cover your pets’ health needs.
American Bulldog Pitbull Mix Exercise and Workout Needs
The Bully Pit requires an extensive amount of exercise, ranging from ninety minutes per day to two hours on weekends. If you do not have enough time or acreage to provide this level of activity, the Bully Pit may become bored and destructive.
- The Bullypit is a high-energy canine that requires significant physical activity daily.
- They will love going on walks or runs every day, and they will also like playing fetch and going on treks.
- This breed is generally not for you if you have limited living space, such as a studio or one-bedroom apartment, or if you do not have access to a yard.
- The American Bulldog and Pitbull combination needs a large amount of outside space in order to prevent them from being destructive.
American Bulldog Pitbull Combination Health Problems
The American Pitbull Bulldog mix may be prone to several common health issues like the American Bulldog Breed, including hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, eye diseases, allergies, and skin conditions.
- Hip Dysplasia: Hip dysplasia is a common condition that affects many breeds of dogs, including American Bulldog Pitbull mixes. It is a condition in which the hip joint does not form or develop properly, leading to pain, stiffness, and decreased mobility. Treatment can involve medications, physical therapy, and, in some cases, surgery.
- Elbow Dysplasia: Elbow dysplasia is another common condition that affects the elbow joint. It is caused by abnormal development of the bones in the joint, which can lead to pain, inflammation, and instability. Treatment can include medications, physical therapy, and, in some cases, surgery.
- Eye Diseases: American Pitbull Bulldog mixes are also prone to several eye diseases. These include entropion, cataracts, glaucoma, and progressive retinal atrophy. Treatment for eye diseases can include medications, eye drops, and, in some cases, surgery.
- Allergies: Pitbull American Bulldog mixes are also prone to a number of allergies. These can include food allergies, toy allergies, and airborne allergies. Allergies can lead to several health problems, including asthma and dermatitis.
- Skin Conditions: American Pitbull Bulldog mixes are also prone to a number of skin conditions. These include Alopecia Areata (hair loss), Ectropion (eyelid prolapse), Pemphigus Vulgaris (pemphigus), and Dermatitis Sicca (dry skin). Treatment for skin conditions can involve medications, topical treatments, and, in some cases, surgery.
Other than these issues, they are considered a generally healthy breed overall.
Maintaining your dog’s good health and happiness may be accomplished by regularly taking them to the veterinarian and ensuring they receive all of their immunizations.
American Bulldog Pitbull Mix Food Requirements
When it comes to providing proper nutrition for this hybrid breed, owners need to ensure that their pup receives a diet that is rich in proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, as well as vitamins and minerals.
This should be done with a combination of wet and dry dog food, as well as occasional treats. Owners should also make sure to monitor their dog’s weight and adjust their meals accordingly to ensure they maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- The American Bulldog and the Pitbull are both types of hybrid dogs. As a result, they require a significant quantity of food of a very high standard.
- They should consume between 2.5 and 3 cups of food each day. Each puppy is unique, and the appropriate amount and quality of food for him depends on factors such as size, weight, activity level, general health, and more.
- You can divide their meals into 2-3 portions daily.
- Because bullypits are prone to being overweight, they mustn’t be overfed.
- Omega fatty acids, minerals, glucosamine, and collagen should be included in the diet. Try to include high-quality supplements such as these in their diet to ensure they are getting the right balance of nutrients.
- You can also offer them foods such as fruits and vegetables, which are rich in carbohydrates and an excellent source of energy.
- Never be afraid to seek the advice of a veterinarian to fulfill the nutritional requirements of your canine companion and keep them healthy and content.
American Bulldog Pitbull Mix Training
Training a Pitbull mixed with an American Bulldog can be a challenging but rewarding experience. This hybrid breed is highly intelligent and independent, making them an ideal companion for an experienced pet owner.
Proper socialization and training are essential to help the dog reach its full potential.
It is important to provide consistent, positive reinforcement when teaching commands and behaviors, as this breed can be quite stubborn at times. With patience and understanding, these mixed breeds can become loyal, friendly pets in any home.
- Establish trust and consistency with the dog – make sure that it knows you are the leader and that it can rely on you.
- Teach basic obedience commands such as sit, stay, come, down, and heel.
- Introduce the dog to different people and situations to help it become socialized.
- Provide plenty of exercise as this breed needs to stay physically fit.
- Teach the dog to walk on a leash properly.
- Provide plenty of mental stimulation to keep the dog’s mind active.
- Use positive reinforcement techniques such as treats and praise to reward the dog for good behavior.
- Use a firm, consistent, and calm approach when training the dog.
- Offer consistent rewards for desired behaviors.
- Don’t forget to have fun and be patient with your pet!
If you are considering getting an American Bulldog Pitbull mix, we recommend checking out some of the best online dog training courses available. These courses can provide you with the essential knowledge and skills needed to successfully train and care for your pup.
Bullypit and Families
The American Pitbull Bulldog Mix is a wonderful breed for families who are looking for a loyal and protective canine companion. Known for their intelligence and alertness, these dogs are great guard dogs and make excellent family pets.
The Bullypit is a hybrid breed that combines the powerful American Bulldog with the energetic Pitbull, resulting in an incredibly strong and loving dog. With the proper training and socialization, this breed can be an excellent addition to any home.
- Bullypits are a friendly and loyal breed of dog, making them great family pets.
- They are well suited to life with children as they are patient, gentle, and loving.
- Bullypits need plenty of exercise and mental stimulation to stay happy and healthy, so they are best suited to families who are willing to spend time with them.
- It is important to socialize bullypits from a young age in order to ensure they are comfortable around children and other animals.
- Some bullypits can be protective of their families and can make good watchdogs.
- It is important to ensure bullypits are provided with enough space to move around, as well as a safe, secure place to rest.
Pitbull American Bulldog Mix Lifespan
The lifespan of a Pitbull American Bulldog mix can vary depending on several factors, such as genetics, diet, and lifestyle. Generally, the American Bulldog Pitbull mix has an average lifespan of 10 to 14 years, which is slightly longer than the average for purebred American Bulldogs and Pitbulls.
Proper care and nutrition can help to extend the dog’s life even further. Owners of this mixed breed should be aware of potential health issues that could affect the longevity of their dogs, such as hip dysplasia, heart problems, and eye issues.
American Bulldog Pitbull Mix Grooming
Grooming an American Pitbull Bulldog mix is a simple but important task in order to keep your pup healthy and looking their best. Regular brushing, bathing, and trimming nails are all important steps to maintain the coat and skin, as well as prevent infections.
Additionally, regular visits to a professional groomer are recommended to ensure your dog’s coat is in the best condition possible. With proper grooming and care, this hybrid breed will stay looking and feeling their best.
Bullypit Puppies: American Bulldog and Pitbull Mix Puppies for Sale
Before adopting or purchasing a dog, it is important to do your research. There are a number of reputable sources where you can find a Pitbull American Bulldog mix puppy.
American Bulldog Pitbull mix puppies can be found in many shelters, pet stores, and online outlets. Prices for these puppies vary depending on their age and gender, as well as the breeder. Generally, a puppy between 2 and 6 months old will cost between $300 and $1800.
You should make sure that the puppy you are buying is from a reputable source. This means checking out the animal’s history and ensuring that it has been treated well. Also, be sure to ask questions about the pup’s health and temperament before adopting or purchasing it.
If you are considering buying a Bullypit, it is important to keep the following points in mind:
- Look for reputable breeders online or in your local area.
- Research the breeders to make sure they are reputable and have good reviews from past customers.
- Ask breeders about the health and background of the puppy and its parents.
- Ask the breeder if they offer any health guarantees or warranties.
- Ask about the puppy’s temperamental traits.
- Be prepared to pay anywhere from $500 – $1800 for an American Bulldog Pitbull mix puppy.
You’ve been searching for the perfect pup for months and finally, you’ve found him. He’s an American Bulldog and Pitbull mix, and he’s absolutely perfect for your family.
But you want to make sure you’re fully informed about his health and genetic background. With the Embark DNA Test, you can get the answers you need to ensure your pup is healthy and well-suited for your home.
Embark provides a comprehensive breed identification, plus a detailed report on his genetic health—including over 215+ health conditions and traits. You can even check for genetic relatives and their health information.
Get the peace of mind you need and make sure your pup is the perfect addition to your family with Embark.
Frequently asked questions about the Pitbull American Bulldog mix breed
A Bulldog Pitbull mix is a high-energy dog breed that is a mix between the American Bulldog and the American Pitbull Terrier. The bullypit is an incredibly versatile breed, making it a great choice for active families with experience in dog training looking for a hard-working, loving, devoted, and loyal companion.
Here are some things to keep in mind when considering getting an American bulldog Pitbull mix:
- Exercise and mental stimulation are essential for an American Pitbull Bulldogmix
- Health issues, aggression, and size should all be considered
- A balanced temperament is important for a well-mannered Bully Pit
- Owners should be aware of state laws and regulations regarding bully breeds
- Proper training and socialization are key to a successful integration into the family
If you are considering getting an American Bulldog Pitbull mix, we recommend checking out some of the best online dog training courses available. These courses can provide you with the essential knowledge and skills needed to successfully train and care for your pup.
Thank you for taking the time to read our article. If you found it helpful, please help us spread the word by sharing it with your friends and family.