Dogs usually eat anything that you give them. It’s a good habit because if we don’t have dog food then we can still give them any other thing that is available in our home. But did you know that it would not be a good idea to give them grapes?
Grapes are dangerous for dogs and therefore we should never give them any. Grapes can cause a number of medical issues including kidney failure, loss of appetite, weakness, vomiting, and can also lead to death.
In this post, we’re going to discuss what you should do if your dog ate a grape and what the consequences may be. We’ll also provide some helpful tips to make sure that this never happens again.
Let’s get started.
Why are grapes toxic to dogs?
Grapes are toxic to dogs because they contain a compound called tartaric acid. This compound can cause problems in your dog’s body, including heart failure, seizures, excessive thirst, kidney damage or failure, and even death. If you detect any of these symptoms in your dog after he or she has eaten grapes, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Can a single grape kill a dog?
There is not a specific amount of grapes that a dog can bear. Every dog is sensitive to grapes to some extent. For example, some dogs can die even by taking just one grape while others can get kidney failure or other serious issues.
Again, it depends on a couple of factors such as the health, age, size, weight and immune system of the dog. Older dogs are usually more sensitive to grapes than young dogs.
If your dog ate one grape, take them to the vet. Grape toxicity can be life-threatening if not treated quickly.
Can dogs eat raisins?
No. Since raisins are dried grapes you should not give any to your dog. This concept also applies to all varieties of grapes like red grapes, concord, sweet jubilee, etc.
Moreover, you should always check the ingredients of any food that you are giving to your dog. If it includes grapes then don’t think twice and abandon the idea of giving them to your dog.
“ All information in this blog is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. So, always seek advice from a Vet if you have questions regarding the health of your dog. ”
Vetster connects pet owners to thousands of licensed veterinarians ready to provide the best online vet services through video chat appointments 24/7.
- 24/7 online veterinary appointments (video, voice & text chat) for both urgent and non-urgent pet care concerns. You’re never alone.
- Helps any kind of pet without restriction
- Available in USA, UK, & Canada.
- Easy-to-use web and mobile app (iOS and Android)
- Vet booking is advanced with dozens of filters and tags to make the search more precise and detailed.
- The veterinarians in the platform are experienced and can provide knowledgeable and empathetic support for your dog's care.
- Some veterinarians can only prescribe your pet medication in a few states.
- Sometimes calls are not immediate and must be scheduled at least 30-60 minutes in advance.
What types of grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs?
Almost all types of grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. Some of the major types of raisins and grapes that are toxic to dogs are as follows:
- Moon Drops (Often known as Red Grapes)
- Pinot Noir
- Sweet Jubilee
- Cotton Candy (Often known as White Grapes)
Signs & symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity
Most of the symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity are related to diarrhea and other common diseases. That’s why it’s usually hard to predict that your dog has eaten a grape. So, You should avoid this situation as much as you can!
Here are some of the signs and symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity:
- Loss of appetite
- Lethargy, weakness, unusual stillness
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea, often within a few hours
- Abdominal pain (tender when touched)
- Dehydration (signs include panting; dry nose and mouth; pale gums). A quick way to test for dehydration is to gently pull up on the skin at the back of your dog’s neck. It should spring back immediately
- Increased thirst and/or urine production or diminished amount of urine or complete cessation altogether
- Kidney damage or failure (which can be fatal)
What to do when your dog has eaten grapes
If your dog has eaten grapes then don’t think twice and immediately go to a Veterinarian. Tell them the complete situation and be ready to answer the following questions at the Vet Clinic:
- How much did the dog eat?
- What type of grapes did he eat?
- How long ago did he eat them?
The Veterinarian will then diagnose it and will try to save the life of your little paw.
These accidents can happen a lot. Did you know that a pet insurance company can bear the cost of these types of accidents?
If you want to secure the life of your little paw then you should take advantage of a pet insurance company. With the help of this insurance, you can get immediate help from experts without worrying about the actual cost of operation, surgery, or even medical tests!
Eusoh ("you-so") is an innovator in the traditional life insurance industryl! It’s a community-based health sharing plan that reimburses you part of your pet’s medical expenses. It lets pet owners pool their money together and pay for each others’ expenses so that they don’t feel overwhelmed by their pets’ medical bills. It is not a standard pet insurance program, instead, it is considered one of the best alternatives to pet insurance plans.
Are other animals at risk?
No, this problem is just related to dogs. Other animals usually don’t get sick by eating grapes. However, it’s a good idea to not give grapes to your other pets too. No matter if grapes are not as dangerous to other animals than dogs, they can still get sick from them to some extent.
How to prevent dogs from eating grapes
You can prevent this problem by following some simple steps like:
1. Keep raisins, grapes, currants, and grape juice in a well-secured place where your dog cannot reach them
Keeping grapes and raisins away from your dog is one of the best steps that you can take to save the life of your little paw. Due to the strong sense of smell, they will always find a way to reach the grapes. So, you should keep them in places where your dog can’t reach.
2. Do not give your children grapes as a snack
If you give grapes to your children, make sure that they do not feed them to your pet. It is best to avoid giving grapes to young children until they are old enough and have a better understanding of how dangerous it can be for dogs.
3. Give your dog only safe and healthy treats
Instead of grapes, you can give other delicious treats to your little companion. Here are some treats that are a good fit for dogs:
- Green Peas
- Cooked Sweet Potatoes
- Cooked Squash
What do I do if my dog eats grapes?
If you have noticed that your dog has eaten some grapes then without wasting any time visit the nearest Vet clinic before it gets too late.
How long after eating grapes will a dog get sick?
Depending on the age of your dog and the number of grapes they eat it could take between 12 to 24 hours after the grapes have been eaten.
Can dogs survive after eating grapes?
Grapes are very toxic to dogs. They can cause kidney failure or death. But if you take your pet to the Vet at the right time then you could save the life of your little canine companion.
Can 1 single grape hurt a dog?
Yes, If your dog is unhealthy or old then even just 1 grape could make them sick.
If your dog ate a grape, the best thing to do is to contact your vet. Your vet can provide you with a treatment plan for your dog and may even require hospitalization in some cases. Additionally, your vet may prescribe medication to help your dog recover from the poisoning.
Now you have a clear understanding of the dangerous effects of grapes on dogs’ health. So, keep them away from your little companion and instead try some other delicious treats that are good for your dog’s health.
Beef Esophagus Jerky are a perfect anytime snack and are also great as a training treat. These all-natural treats are packed with essential vitamins and minerals which makes them ideal for improving oral and joint health. Each esophagus strip is naturally rich in glucosamine and chondroitin, which may reduce inflammation and improve your dog’s joint function.