If you are exploring the options of indoor exercises for your dog, dog treadmills are hands down the best and safest choice.
Yes! You have read it right. Treadmills for dogs exist for real, and no, they are not similar to your regular treadmill but are designed according to the size, weight, and breed of your dog.
Dozens of different treadmills for dogs are available in the market, which confuses the buyer; therefore, we decided to review bestselling dog treadmills and narrowed down some perfect picks.
After spending hours surveying the market and inspecting every little detail, only eight products made it to our final list, which we will reveal below in detail.
So keep reading and get to know the top-rated dog treadmills.
Best Dog Treadmills in 2021: Our Top Picks
- Best overall: Dog pacer full-size treadmill
- Runner up: Petsite dog treadmill
- Best for large dogs: Go pet treadmill for large dogs
- Best professional: SRFDD dog treadmill
- Best non-automatic: Treadwheel
- Best for medium-small dogs: DogPACER Minipacer Treadmill
- Best for small dogs: DogTread Premium
- Best for humans and dogs: Gravitis electric treadmill for dogs
Why Does Your Dog Need a Treadmill?
Apart from having an active physical routine and daily activities, keeping those extra pounds at bay is also very essential for your dog’s health.
With a dog treadmill, you may get an easy way out for providing your dog a chance to stay fit and healthy. On days when you cannot go out for walks with your fur baby, just switch the treadmill on and help your dog get its daily workout dose.
If you are a dog parent of a super-active athletic fur buddy, a couple of walks and strolls will not help satiate your pal’s hunger for games and activities.
However, having to ride on the treadmill will effectively tire your dog, and you both can pass out on that couch together for a nap, Netflix, and chill.
Win-win?? Of course.
Benefits of Dog treadmill
Most dog owners buy a dog treadmill to keep a check on the physical activity of their dogs, but a treadmill for dogs has several other benefits as well:
#1 Corners the calories
Dogs often prefer meat over veggies and fruits, increasing their chance of weight gain and obesity. If your dog is also a picky eater and only wants meaty affairs, a dog treadmill may help your dog successfully shed those extra pounds.
#2 It makes up for skipping daily walks
There are days you cannot take your pal for a walk due to extreme weather, hectic routine, sickness, or any other reason. Dog treadmills in those days come to the rescue, and your dog can still get a great fix for physical activity.
#3 Speeds up the growth process
Walking on a dog treadmill strengthens your dog’s muscles and joints. For adequate muscle control and coordinated movements, using a treadmill for the dog is highly recommended by dog trainers.
8 Best dog Treadmills for your Dog
Treadmills come in a wide variety, making it difficult to select the most appropriate one.
No matter if you are looking for a treadmill for a small or large dog, or maybe non-automatic, we looked upon all.
Here we have reviewed some of the best treadmills for dogs keeping multiple options in mind.
Read on to explore all the picks one by one.
1. Best overall: DogPACER full-size Dog Pacer Treadmill
With a 71” x 16.5” running surface, the dogPacer LF 3.1 is an ideal treadmill for dogs weighing up to 179 pounds. Due to its considerably large running area, commendable weight capacity, and built-in customizable exercise programs, this is ranked as one of the best treadmills for dogs.
- Dimension: 76.77L x 27.6w x 47h inches
- Colors: available in two colors, Black and Red
- Speed: 0.5-7.5 miles per hour (with increments 0.1 mph)
- From 5 to 9 degree, four settings are available to fix the incline manually
- You can either customize the running speed and exercise program according to your dog’s capacity or choose from pre-set exercise programs
- Best suited for small to medium-sized dogs
- High portability due to light-weight and folding feature
- Product assembling is not required
- Safe to use for dogs who have allergies or are sensitive to the environment
- A crossbar is attached just above the running space, which allows you to tie the dog’s leash for maximum safety
- Weight capacity is slightly lower than other available treadmills
- It quickly gets out of stock
2. Runner up: Petsite dog treadmill
For small to medium-sized dogs, Petsite is an amazing dog treadmill. It is made up of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene material which gives a very posh look. The prominent feature of this treadmill is its detachable safety key on the console that can be pulled out to switch off the treadmill instantly. If your dog is small and super-jumpy, this might be the best choice for you.
- Dimension: 49L x 21w x 41.5h inches
- Color: available in one color only, Black
- Speed: 0.5-7.5 miles per hour (with increments 0.1 mph)
- Smart LCD screen display that shows time, distance, speed, and calories burnt by your dog
- 12 exercise modes are available to adjust speed and distance combinations
- A safety key that can be attached to your dog’s collar. The safety key will be detached in case your dog stumbles upon the running area, and the treadmill will automatically stop.
- It is very light-weight (47 pounds only)
- Caster wheels are attached to move the treadmill around without extra support.
- It has two attached side panels which help in keeping the dog focused during exercise by limiting distractions.
- Price is low as compared to the features it offers
- Three options are available to adjust the height from the base
- Reduced portability because it does not fold
- You will have to adjust the incline manually
3. Best for large dogs: GOPET treadmill for large dogs
Your large dog, who may need to be physically active at any cost, would benefit from a GOPET treadmill for large dogs. With its capacity to incorporate dogs above 176 pounds, it is the most durable treadmill for dogs.
So whether it’s a rainy day or snowfall does not allow you to take a quick stroll with your dog, your large fur baby can still burn extra calories by running swiftly on this dog treadmill.
- Dimension: 90L x 26w x 22h inches
- Color: White body with black running space
- Speed: 10 miles per hour at max
- Easier to move around due to dolly wheels beneath
- A metal eyelet is given to attach your dog’s favorite toy for increased focus
- The dog leash bar is attached for safety purpose
- Speed can be adjusted via remote control
- Incline can also be adjusted to some extent
- Sleek finish with a bar-like side panel appearance
- Suitable even for overweight dogs
- Small breeds would not feel comfortable
- No Screen display
- It cannot be folded
4. Best professional: SRFDD dog treadmill
You may want to opt for the SRFDD dog treadmill if you like to purchase only the finest for your dog, provided the money has never been an issue. It is a well-built premium quality treadmill for dogs who are prone to exercise and run.
Out of all the dog treadmills, it has a maximum weight capacity of 220 pounds, and it conveniently caters to small to large-sized breeds.
- Dimension: 68L x 22w x 39h inches
- Color: Metallic grey
- Speed: 0.8-12 km/h with 1.75 Horsepower
- The screen display is separately attached to monitor your dog’s activity, time, and speed.
- It possesses an overall sturdy and professional look
- Metal frames are attached on sides to increase safety
- Dog leash can be tied to the crossbar attached above the running belt
- The motor does not make noise which adds to the benefits
- More suitable for a professional gym-like environment
- Easy to access modes via remote control
- It comes with a hefty price tag
- It cannot be folded
- Not suitable for small spaces
5. Best NON AUTOMATIC: GoPet Treadwheel
The perfect option to keep your dog in shape is the GoPet dog treadmill that is non-automatic. You can carry it around, and it is safe to use indoors as well as outdoors. In addition, this dog treadmill provides an opportunity to train your dog well and strengthen their small joints, which enhances motor coordination.
- Dimension: 19L x 42w x 45h inches
- Color: Black only
- Speed: Manual
- The wheel features a soft matted surface to provide extra cushion and support to your dog.
- Material is UV protected so your dog can run on the wheel outdoors while you enjoy your sunbath.
- Suitable for small dogs play and exercise
- It can be easily cleaned
- Portable and sturdy appearance
- The training door is attached to maximize safety
- Easy in and out option for your pal
- Speed cannot be altered and totally depends on your dog’s mood.
6. Best for medium-small dogs: DogPACER Minipacer Treadmill
With a sleek finish and robust look, the Minipacer treadmill for dogs is the best option for small to medium-sized dogs. It’s a standard quality dog treadmill with a wide enough running belt and also includes computerized technology for built-in exercise programs. It is durable and space-saving at the same time.
- Dimension: 42L x 21.5w x 8.2h inches
- Color: Red and Black combination
- Speed: 0.5 – 7.5 miles per hour
- The screen display is attached smartly on the side
- The design features folding patented technology, which increases portability
- Supports dogs weighing up to 55 pounds only
- It comes with pre-set time and speed programs
- Sporty appearance with attached side guards and a crossbar
- An easy-to-operate portable dog treadmill
- Dolly wheels are not given
- Multiple incline adjustments are not available
- It does not support large dogs
7. Best for small dogs: DogTread Premium
A compact-sized option with a decent finish for your small dog is the DogTread treadmill. It is very handy and easy to move around due to attached transportation wheels and folding design technology. The material used in this dog treadmill is premium quality plastic which adds to the durability.
- Dimensions: 44L x 20w x 21h inches
- Color: Blue only
- Speed: 0.5 to 7 miles per hour
- LCD screen display that shows time, distance, and selected program speed
- The red safety start and stop button is attached to maximize dog’s protection and avoid mishaps
- Foldable side guards are attached for maximum safety and less distractibility.
- Treat holder is given to offer an incentive to your dog after a good run
- Inclines can be manually adjusted according to the training plan- low fence or high training flip-bar
- Space-saving design is ideal for small spaces and increases portability
- A whisper-quiet motor that does not make a lot of noise
- The maximum weight recommendation is only 30 pounds, so it does not support even medium-sized dogs.
- The incline is somewhat limited
- Treat dispenser can only be used for dry treats
8. Best for humans and dogs: Gravitis electric treadmill for dogs
With Gravitis electric treadmill for dogs, you and your fur buddy can be exercise pals and share one treadmill. You can motivate your dog to shed those extra calories by setting an example, and using the same treadmill in front of your furry friend will definitely excite him since dogs love to copy their owners.
- Dimension: 57.87L x 27.56w x 5.51h inches
- Color: Red and Black combinations
- Speed: 5 miles per hour
- Weight: 25 Kg
- It comes with smart remote control and touch button keypad technology
- In less than 3 minutes, it can be made canine-ready from a human treadmill
- Sturdy design with a handrail for humans, side guards, and front rail for dogs
- Ultra-portable design and folding technology makes it space-saving
- The machine can be operated via a remote control
- Running belt is both human and dog friendly
- Speed is low as compared to the function it serves
- Incline adjustment is not available
Buyer’s Guide: What to Look for When Purchasing?
Buying any treadmill for the dog may not work, and you have to consider some prominent features in a dog treadmill before purchasing. These features should be considered according to your dog’s weight, size, breed, and overall personality.
Important features to consider
Appropriate sizing- Various sized dog treadmills are available in the market, so pick one that has a running belt wide enough to cater to your dog’s size. For example, small dogs may not be able to stand firm on huge treadmills; similarly, very large dogs cannot run comfortably on a small belt.
#1 Your dog’s weight
The treadmill’s weight capacity must be according to your dog’s size; otherwise, potential damage can occur to the treadmill and your dog as well.
#2 Protective Sides
It is better to buy a treadmill that has protective side guards. These sidebars not only decrease the chances of your dog jumping off the treadmill but also reduce distractions and keep the dogs focused.
Inclines work best for the strength training of your dog. You can choose a low incline setting if your dog is weak or underweight or a flip-bar setting for a high-intensity workout to help your dog lose weight in case of obesity.
#4 Speed settings
Most of the treadmills for dogs have 0.5 to 7.6 miles per hour speed which is ideal for almost all breeds. Choose the speed setting according to the comfort level of your dog for a nicer experience.
Sometimes, you may want to take your dog outside for exercise and training, but you cannot lift a heavy treadmill very often. Instead, select a portable treadmill for the dog if you like to move around and if your dog appreciates frequent changes in the environment.
You may not want to scare your dog off the treadmill due to its sound, so if your fur baby does not feel comfortable around noises like vacuum cleaner or blender, chances are higher that it will not stand the noise of the dog treadmill as well. But do not worry, you can easily find a tread for the dog that does not make much noise.
#7 Extra features
Apart from size, material, durability, and safety, look for a screen display to monitor time, distance, and speed. This motivates you to train the dog better, and you can keep track of your dog’s performance as well.
Not all treadmills come with a warranty, but some do offer at least a year warranty in case of damage or mishap. If you are confused about the proper handling of the dog treadmill, you may opt for the one that comes with a warranty, just in case.
How to Teach Your Dog to Use a Dog treadmill?
You can effortlessly teach your dog to run on a dog treadmill by following these steps;
- Start the dog treadmill and let your dog hang around it. Your dog will be familiar with it in a couple of days.
- Once the dog shows interest in the treadmill by sniffing or patting, reward him with a treat
- Let the dog ride on a treadmill without turning the machine on and again treat your dog for getting on it.
- Once your dog seems to be fine with the idea of walking on the treadmill, turn on the lowest speed and let your dog stand on it. Do not leave your dog’s side at this step and stand in front of him with a leash in your hand for extra support.
- Gradually increase the speed of the treadmill and use lots of treats in the process to get success.
Safety Tips for using a dog treadmill
Dog trainers shared some great tips and tricks to ensure dog’s safety;
- Do not leave your dog unattended while using the dog treadmill to avoid accidents
- Buy a treadmill that is suitable according to your dog’s size and breed
- Always tie the leash on the crossbar and put side guards for maximum safety
- Keep the treadmill at a spot where it is supported against a wall
For how long can my dog run on a treadmill?
The recommended time for most dogs to run on a dog treadmill is 5 to 20 minutes. The time varies according to your dog’s level of tolerance. Start with 5 minutes, then increase the time gradually once your dog gets familiar with the treadmill.
What should I do if my dog is scared of the treadmill?
You can use rewards and treats to counter-condition your dog with the treadmill. Start incorporating the dog treadmill in your dog’s daily schedule like physical activity, playtime, and mealtime more and reward the dog when it comes in contact with the treadmill.
How do I prepare my scared dog to use a treadmill?
Support your dog by standing beside him with the leash in your hand and start at the treadmill at the slowest speed. Reward the dog for successfully walking on the treadmill and keep increasing the speed gradually. Get a dog treadmill that does not make noise, for it scares off the dogs.
How do you effectively clean the dog treadmill?
Clean your dog’s treadmill every other week with soap and water. Dip a towel in soapy water, then run it on the treadmill of your dog to wipe out hair, food, or traces of urine. You can also add vinegar in water for organic cleaning agents. Carefully inspect the slats and padding for deep cleaning.
Are human treadmills not suitable for dogs? Why so?
The human treadmill does not have adequate safety features essential for dogs, and the mechanical sound also scares the dog off. In addition, most human treadmills are enormous, and running belts are not canine-friendly. Speed settings in human treadmills are also not suitable for dogs.
Conclusion: Our Top Pick
With a maximum weight capacity of 179 pounds and speed up to 7.5 mph, the dogPACER Lf 3.1 full-size dog treadmill tops our list of best treadmills for dogs.
It’s a one-time purchase because of its durability and capacity to cater to almost all breeds. The dogPacer treadmill is also budget-friendly, and you may get a wonderful indoor exercising piece for your dog without breaking your bank.
Due to high demand and excellent customer reviews, it is mostly out of stock, so hurry up and get your hands on it as soon as possible.