Raising a puppy is hard work! The biggest challenge for most people is finding the right balance of nutrition.
If they don’t get it, they might not grow into healthy animals, resulting in severe health conditions down the road.
If you have a puppy, you can ensure that your pooch is getting the proper nutrition he needs ONLY if you take the right steps from the start.
Our blog aims to raise awareness about the importance of a well-balanced diet, mental and physical stimulation in dogs’ lives.
Since many of our readers may have heard about Orijen dog food for puppies, we wanted to take the opportunity to give our dog-loving audience a rundown on what this food is all about.
Ever wonder what’s inside Orijen puppy food?
It’s a tasty blend of protein, real fresh meat, fruits, vegetables, and probiotics to support the immune system and help keep your pup at its best.
Save yourself hours of researching through dozens of reviews and ratings – I’ve already done the heavy lifting for you, .
After extensive market research and practical tryout of this brand, I am confidently going to tell you if Orijen puppy food is worth the hype? Are there any better alternatives in the market? And detailed analysis of Orijen Puppy food in terms of ingredients and pricing.
Let’s get started without further ado!
Orijen Puppy Food Review: Preview
- Key features: what’s special about Orijen puppy food?
- Nutritional analysis
- Ingredient Analysis
- The importance of “Grain-Free” puppy food
- Where to buy Orijen puppy food for your dog
- Transition to Orijen puppy food
- Alternatives to Orijen Puppy dog food
- FAQs (Frequently asked question) on Orijen puppy food Review
Key features: What’s Special about Orijen puppy food?
Remembering the time when dogs used tooth’s hunt and survive on only meat – reviving their old habitat, Orijen puppy food aims to redirect dogs to the traditional eating pattern.
According to Orijen, feeding dogs, a meal that lacks meat and includes grains alters their natural eating habits, affecting their maximum growth potential in the long run.
Dog’s digestive systems are accustomed to processing what their ancestors used to eat. Therefore, Orijen claims to serve the food that your dog’s guts and taste buds would happily process.
#1 All-Natural Ingredients
Orijen claims to use premium quality and all-natural ingredients to make puppy food. They use cage-free eggs, wild-caught fishes, and free-run chicken/turkey to provide your dog an instinctive food experience without chasing down the hill.
Personally, I can vouch for the quality as food seems fresh, and they have unlimited food bag options, so you may not get stuck with only small-medium-large and select one according to your requirement.
#2 Grain-free puppy food
Grain-free and gluten-free dog food options are now readily available in the market, but should your dog be on a totally grain-free diet is always the talk of the hour.
Orijen puppy food is also one of the brands that offer grain-free food and utilize meat, dairy, fishes, vegetables, berries, and other herbs to meet the nutritional requirements of the dogs effectively.
This grain-free alternative is best for dogs who are allergic to grains; however, I personally recommend a combination of grains and meats to make the most of all food variants for regular dogs.
#3 An ideal combination of Protein and Carbohydrates
Some owners avoid Grain-free food since the FDA released a notion claiming that grain-free food can cause an enlarged heart and cardiac issues in dogs.
This happens due to the high glycemic index of grain-free food due to lack of grains and higher concentration of carbohydrates/fats.
Orijen puppy food caters well to this problem by providing a perfect combination of high protein and carbohydrates with a low glycemic index.
This way, your puppy can enjoy a meaty meal while keeping obesity and cardiac issues in control.
Nutritional Analysis of Orijen Puppy Food
Orijen puppy food provides a well-balanced diet that is not only rich in high-quality proteins, carbohydrates, and fiber but also includes probiotics, minerals, essential vitamins, and antioxidants.
Let’s have a look at a breakdown of the nutritional value of all-natural ingredients in Orijen puppy food;
|Calcium||1.3 / 1.6%|
|Phosphorus||1 / 1.3%|
|Licorice root||500 mg/kg|
|Angelica root||500 mg/kg|
|Fenugreek seeds||350 mg/kg|
|Marigold flower||350 mg/kg|
|Peppermint leaf||300 mg/kg|
|Chamomile flowers||300 mg/kg|
|Dandelion roots||150 mg/kg|
|Summer savory||150 mg/kg|
The botanical inclusions like a marigold flower, peppermint leaf, fenugreek seeds, and others included in the list add in the benefit of an all-natural grain-free Orijen puppy food.
In addition, these ingredients strengthen the liver and kidneys of the dogs and help in smooth digestion.
Ingredient Analysis of Orijen Puppy Food
Orijen puppy food claims to use all-natural and locally sourced ingredients for manufacturing grain-free dog food.
I am sharing here the list of ingredients given on the official website of Orijen so that you may have a look and decide if the ingredients sound promising enough to you.
Before having a look at the list, I must remind you that their ingredients are also fresh and preservatives free, which is excellent for the dog owners who want to feed their dogs only the best quality dog food and the amount of added carcinogens mentioned on dog food packets always scare them.
|Boneless chicken*, chicken meat, chicken liver*, whole herring*, boneless turkey*, turkey meal, turkey liver*, whole eggs*, boneless walleye*, whole salmon*, chicken heart*, chicken cartilage*, herring meal, salmon meal, chicken liver oil, chicken fat, red lentils, green peas, green lentils, sun-cured alfalfa, yams*, pea fiber, chickpeas, pumpkin*, butternut squash*, spinach greens*, carrots*, Red Delicious apples*, Bartlett pears*, cranberries*, blueberries*, brown kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium fermentation product plus vitamins and minerals.Vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E Supplement, zinc proteinate.|
*List of ingredients by the official page of Orijen puppy food
/Orijen puppy food has a long list of pros, to be honest. It is one of the best dry dog foods available on the shelves when it comes to quality and quantity, but yes, the price is questionable.
Major benefits of Orijen dog food for puppies are:
- Local products- Orijen utilize regional ingredients and source items only from trustworthy people. They never compromise on quality.
- Quality check- Food items have to go through a strict quality check before hitting the market.
- Fresh ingredients- They use fresh ingredients like deboned animals, cartilages, bones, succulent meat parts, organs, fishes, and dairy.
- Biologically appropriate- Orijen puppy food is biologically appropriate as it has been formulated, keeping into consideration the innate eating habits of dogs.
- Grain-free- Its Grain-free and gold-standard dog food
- All-natural ingredients- The meat and dairy resources are organic
- No artificial flavors- Hormone-free and antibiotic-free animals are used in the making of this dog food
- Best combination formula- Fruits, vegetables, and other botanical herbs are included in the formula
- Low risk of weight gain in dogs- Low glycemic index formula of carbohydrates and protein
- Chemical-free- It is pesticide-free dog food
- Customer’s satisfaction- It has great customer reviews
- Price- It is relatively on the expensive side. Orijen dog food may cost you around $5.25 per pound, which is quite a hefty price for dog food.
- Grain-free diet- all meat and no grain might not suit your dog and cause high cholesterol, leading to cardiac issues, especially if you have an aged dog or a physically not very active dog.
- Not easily available- The Orijen puppy food is not available internationally, which makes it hard for the customers to get their hands on it.
The Importance of “Grain-Free” Puppy Food
If we can eat and appreciate the food our ancestors used to, then why not our dogs?
Traditionally, puppies or dogs were used to feed on a naturally grain-free food, like meat, bones, and organs of other animals.
Keeping the dogs away from their biological food choice may not be healthy and restrain their growth.
Grains like wheat or corn may cause allergies in some dogs as well; therefore, grain-free dog food like Orijen is always a better alternative for such puppies.
Some dog food companies replace grains with double soluble carbohydrates such as pumpkin, sweet potato, lentils, which put the dogs at the risk of weight gain and heart diseases; however, Orijen dog food for puppies uses carbohydrates having low glycemic index, which helps in maintaining puppy’s overall health.
Read also: Best food for dogs with allergies
Where to Buy Orijen Dog Food for puppies
To buy Orijen puppy food you can visit Orijen official website, enter your area, and you will get guidance to your nearby store from where you can get Orijen puppy food. You can also buy Orijen dog food for puppies with one click on Amazon; order now at the comfort of your place.
Transition to Orijen Puppy Food
If your dog is habitual of a diet that includes grain, and now you want to switch to an all-natural grain-free Orijen dog food for puppies, you need to make a gradual transition.
Start by pouring a little amount of this dry dog food over your dog’s regular kibble and increasing the amount swiftly. Your dog’s guts will also prepare you for the transition to dry dog food.
Disclaimer: Always Talk with your veterinarian before any change in your dog’s diet.
Alternatives to Orijen puppy dog food
For custom-made dog food recipes and freshly cooked meals, you can try Ollie food service.
They offer to deliver dog meals made with human-grade ingredients, which means you and your dog can have the same feast; cool or creepy?
Whatever! Even on the pickiest of eaters will love it; Ollie food bowl never fails.
- All-natural and organic ingredients that include meat, fruits, vegetables, and plant-based proteins
- Canine nutritionists have formulated the recipes.
- Food will be delivered to your doorstep in small batches so that your dog can get fresh food every time.
- Dog food owners are highly satisfied with their service, and Ollie is the most trusted dog food brand.
For a human-grade dry dog option, you may look into Honest kitchen whole-grain dehydrated dog food formula. Packed with premium quality goods, the ingredients in this formula are turkey, deboned chicken, dehydrated veggies, cranberries, oats, and organic flax seeds.
- Whole grain organic dry food formula which is high in proteins
- Serve as a whole food or use as a topper to entice your picky eater
- Free of parabens, preservatives, fillers, and GMO
- Fit for puppies, adult dogs, and lactating or pregnant dogs of all breeds and sizes
- Healthy human-grade ingredients
Another reliable dry dog food option is the taste of the wild dry dog food. This formula improves the overall health and immunity of dogs, as coated by several dog owners.
In addition, its roasted bison and roasted venison flavors make it different from other regular dog foods and an ideal choice for picky eaters as well.
- Rich in protein and increase lean muscles mass in dog’s body
- Antioxidants, essential vitamins, and minerals are added to the formula
- Helps in strengthening the muscles and joints health of your dog
- Gut health can be enhanced due to probiotic quantity in this dry dog food
- It is made in a safe, home-like environment
This company makes dry and wet types of dog food along with treats so that you may get everything under one umbrella.
- Meat by-products, preservatives, and artificial flavors are not added, which makes it the perfect organic dry food option
- It’s an all-natural healthy dietary option for picky eaters
- The formula is grain-free
- Price and packaging are quite competitive
- It is best for dogs who love seafood, as the formula is packed with the goodness of original chicken and salmon.
- Different sizes are available according to the breed size of a dog
Merrick provides unlimited dog food options for all life stages of dogs. From dry food to wet meal bowls, toppers to treats, and grain-free to whole-grains dog food, they have it all on their plate.
- The trusted brand serving good quality food for 30 years
- High-quality, delicious ingredients are sourced for making the formula
- They refuse to use preservatives, fillers, or artificial flavors
- Wholesome and nutritious recipes are crafted in the home kitchen of the owner under the expert care
- Offers good price
FAQs about Orijen for puppies
Is Orijen dog food good for puppies?
Yes, Orijen is good for puppies! For optimal development and good health, all puppies require a rich diet in carbohydrates, proteins, essential fatty acids, and antioxidants. Orijen puppy food has all the ingredients that fulfill the nutritional requirements of a dog.
Is Orijen the best puppy food available in the market?
Orijen makes one of the best grain-free dry dog food options available in the market with locally sourced, fresh, and preservative-free ingredients. In terms of quality and quantity, it is quite competitive.
Is Orijen puppy food worth the price it offers?
Orijen puppy food has all-natural ingredients, and it is free from additional chemicals like pesticides. Meat also comes from hormone-free and antibiotic-free animals, which justifies the hefty price tag.
Who is Orijen owned by, if I may know?
Orijen dog food for puppies is another product of Champion Petfoods who are located in Alberta, Canada. They also make premium quality cat food and Acana food.
Has Orijen dog food ever been recalled in the past?
Well, not in Canada or the United States; however, Orijen cat food had once been recalled in Australia in November 2008. No recalls have been recorded for Orijen dog food to date.
How much Orijen should you feed your puppy?
It is recommended to serve your dog the Orijen puppy food twice a day by dividing the total serving suggestion for a day into two equal portions. For instance, if it asks to serve two cups of Orijen food in a day, you may serve one cup at a time with at least 8-12 hours difference before serving another.
Up till now, you are well-versed with the quality, ingredients, price, and replacements of Orijen dog food for puppies. You can decide yourself if the Orijen puppy food is worth all the hype or not after reading this review.
If you ask me, I would not serve Orijen puppy food on a daily basis to my dog, rather use it for occasional treats for two reasons.
First, because it’s a portion of dry dog food and my dog prefers his food a bit wet, and second the price.
At the same price, I can subscribe to Ollie food service, and I will get freshly prepared food at my doorstep, but if your dog prefers dry kibble, and you prioritize quality over price, then you must go with Orijen dog food for puppies.
In the end, I am deeply humbled that you are becoming member of my regular audience, and I enjoy connecting with you.
That being said, there is nothing left but to thank you for your attention up to this point.
I hope I have been helpful, and I wish you many moments of joy and satisfaction in the company of your beloved dog.
Until next time!
A big hug.