Home Shop for your dog Scroll Top

My Dog Ate an Entire Bottle of Vitamin D Tablets – What Should I Do?

My Dog ate an entire bottle of Vitamin D tablets. Should I be worried? Here's what you need to know about the potential dangers of Vitamin D toxicity in dogs.

Did you know that most dog foods contain some amount of vitamin D? It helps the body to absorb and retain calcium and phosphorus. Both of these elements are critical for making bones stronger.

Some amount of vitamin D is essential for a dog’s health. However, you might be wondering what would happen if your dog accidentally ate some pills or even an entire bottle of vitamin D pills. Don’t worry at all. I’ve got your back. I’ll give you all the details you need to know.

If taken at a moderate level, then vitamin D could be a good thing for dogs. However, an excessive amount of vitamin D could cause vitamin D toxicity in dogs. That’s why if your dog has swallowed some pills or eaten an entire bottle of vitamin D then you should immediately take him to the vet clinic.

What are the signs of vitamin D poisoning?

My dog ate an entire bottle of vitamin d-min

Usually, the signs of vitamin D poisoning appear 12 to 24 hours after ingestion. However, the severity of these signs depends on a couple of factors like age, health condition, and the weight of your dog.

Some of the most common signs of vitamin D poisoning are as follows:

1. Vomiting and diarrhea

An excessive amount of vitamin D could cause issues with your pet’s respiratory and digestive systems. In most cases, these issues can lead to vomiting and diarrhea. If you are noticing this behavior in your dog then immediately take him to the vet clinic.

2. Increased drinking and urination

An excessive amount of vitamin D directly impacts the kidneys. That’s why most dogs will experience excessive urination as a side effect. In this situation, your dog may drink a lot more water than usual. If your dog has these kinds of issues then it’s a clear-cut sign that he had taken some vitamin D pills.

3. Increased respiratory rate, difficulty breathing

The respiratory system is the network of organs and tissues that support your dog’s breathing. Moreover, the muscles that power the lungs are also part of the respiratory system. That’s why an increased respiratory rate may make it difficult for your dog to breathe.

If your dog is facing difficulty in breathing then immediately take him to the Vet. Acting quickly could save the life of your little canine companion.

4. Abnormal heart rhythms

Abnormal heart rhythm is a medical condition in which the heart rate of your dog may increase or decrease frequently. It’s a serious condition that may require a lot of medication. An excessive amount of vitamin D could cause this situation in dogs. That’s why if your dog has ingested a lot of vitamin D then you should immediately take him to the Vet.

5. Kidney failure

Unfortunately, an excessive amount of vitamin D could cause kidney failure in dogs. The treatment of this issue could require an operation. Basically, in case of kidney failure, it’s the only way to save the life of your dog.

These kinds of operations will be very expensive. That’s why you should purchase a pet insurance policy to protect your dog’s health and save money. They will ensure that in case of any accidents your pet is getting proper treatment.

PLEASE NOTE: This blog post is just for informational purposes. So, don’t take it as medical advice. I’m not, nor am I claiming o be a Veterinarian. So, kindly visit the nearest Vet clinic for questions related to the health of your pet.

Online Vets Available 24/7
Vetster – On-Demand 24/7 Online Vet Appointments

Vetster connects pet owners to thousands of licensed veterinarians ready to provide the best online vet services through video chat appointments 24/7.

Pros:
  • 24/7 online veterinary appointments (video, voice & text chat) for both urgent and non-urgent pet care concerns. You’re never alone.
  • Helps any kind of pet without restriction
  • Available in USA, UK, & Canada.
  • Easy-to-use web and mobile app (iOS and Android)
  • Vet booking is advanced with dozens of filters and tags to make the search more precise and detailed.
  • The veterinarians in the platform are experienced and can provide knowledgeable and empathetic support for your dog's care.
Cons:
  • Some veterinarians can only prescribe your pet medication in a few states.
  • Sometimes calls are not immediate and must be scheduled at least 30-60 minutes in advance.
What Do We Think: Vetster helps you avoid unnecessary trips to the emergency room with their round-the-clock online care. Live care specialists are on-hand 24/7 to provide one-on-one attention to your pets. You’re never alone.
Book an Online Vet Now
We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.

My dog ate vitamin D, what should I do?

One of the best things that you can do to save the life of your dog is to take him to the Vet clinic. If your dog ate some vitamin D pills then don’t wait and take him to the vet immediately.

The symptoms of vitamin D poisoning may not appear right away. Therefore, if you know that your bed ate the vitamin D tablets, don’t wait for the symptoms to appear. Your pet may not be feeling well even though they aren’t showing any symptoms. The recommendation is to take him to the vet promptly.

Frequently asked questions

Can vitamin D cause death in dogs?

Yes, unfortunately, an excessive amount of vitamin D can cause death in dogs. However, the chances of death depend on the amount of vitamin D that your dog ate and the weight of your dog. So, if a medium-sized dog ate only a small amount of vitamin D then it is unlikely to cause your pet’s death.

What happens if vitamin D toxicity is left untreated in dogs?

If a dog with vitamin D toxicity doesn’t get proper treatment then he may have serious health conditions like increased heart rate and kidney failure. Moreover, there are also some chances of death too.

Final thoughts

The amount of vitamin D that is usually present in dogs’ food is not dangerous for the health of your dog. However, if your dog is taking more than the average amount of vitamin D then he may have health consequences. Unlike some other dog owners now you are aware of the symptoms of vitamin D poisoning and know what you should do if your dog eats some vitamin D pills or even an entire bottle of pills.

In case of any emergencies, if you don’t want to worry about the cost of your pet’s treatment then you should get pet insurance as soon as possible. Any renowned pet insurance company will ensure that you get immediate support in case of any emergencies. Share this resource with your loved ones so that they have the helpful information too. Do you have more questions about vitamin D poisoning? Feel free to ask them in the comment section. I would love to assist you.

Pet Insurance Alternative
Eusoh Community-Based Care For Your Pet (Pet Insurance Alternative)

Eusoh ("you-so") is an innovator in the traditional life insurance industryl! It’s a community-based health sharing plan that reimburses you part of your pet’s medical expenses. It lets pet owners pool their money together and pay for each others’ expenses so that they don’t feel overwhelmed by their pets’ medical bills. It is not a standard pet insurance program, instead, it is considered one of the best alternatives to pet insurance plans. 

Discover More About Eusoh Our Review
We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
Condividi su:
Housam Ayouni
Housam Ayouni

I am an Italian blogger, lover of pizza, travel, and dogs. For several years, I've been studying and working with dogs; I immensely enjoy helping dog owners find peace and balance in their lives. My goal with this blog is to share with you everything I know and have learned through my personal experiences with my dogs.

Articles: 240