My Dog Ate a Poisoned Mouse – What Will the Side Effects Be?

My dog ate a poisoned mouse. What do I do? It is important to act quickly! Here are some things you can do to help your dog if they have eaten a poisoned mouse.
Paws up for sharing this dog-related article!

HELP! My dog ate a poisoned mouse, what should I do?

If your dog ate a poisoned mouse, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately and bring them to the vet. There are many different types of poison that can be fatal to dogs if not treated in time, so it is important to act fast.

This blog post provides information on what to do if your dog has eaten a poisoned mouse, including how to identify symptoms of poisoning, the different side effects of a poisoned mouse, and what your dog might show if they have eaten one

Side Effects of Eating a Poisoned Mouse in Dogs

Most rat poisons are designed to be eaten over a long period of time. The side effects may take several days to appear. That’s why if your dog had eaten a poisoned mouse then it may take some time for the symptoms to start appearing.

Here are some of the most common side effects for dogs if they have eaten a poisoned mouse:

1. Bleeding From Anywhere on The Body

As I have mentioned earlier, most of the poisons that are designed for mice can interfere with the dog’s ability to clot their blood correctly. That’s why you may be able to notice some bleeding from anywhere on the body.

In most cases, the bleeding usually comes from the gums and nose. So, if you have recently used rat poison in your home then check your dog and if you notice any blood then immediately take him to a vet.

2. Blood in Your Dog’s Feces or Urine

Since the poisons are designed for the rats, they usually don’t have enough power to be harmful for dogs. If your dog is young and healthy then he may be able to bear the effects of eating a poisoned mouse. However, still, there will be some blood in your dog’s feces or urine. If you notice your dog has these symptoms then take him to the vet for your canine companion’s faster recovery.

3. Change in The Body Temperature

If your dog had eaten a poisoned mouse then his body temperature may increase. If you have recently used rat poison in your home then keep on checking your dog’s body temperature. If you notice a change in temperature then it’s a clear-cut sign that your dog had eaten a poisoned mouse.

4. Gastric Blockage

Most rat poisons are designed in such a way that they can interfere with the ability to clot blood correctly. While others may be designed to cause gastric blockage. So, if your dog had eaten a poisoned mouse then there is a chance that he may have a gastric blockage in the near future.

What Should I Do if My Dog Eats a Poisoned Mouse?

If your dog had eaten a poisoned mouse then instead of waiting for the symptoms to appear, you should immediately take him to the Vet. Depending on the condition of your dog the vet may discharge your dog within a few hours but in some cases, it can take a few days for treatment.

Sometimes, the treatments can be costly. If your dog had eaten a lot of poisoned mice then it may require an operation. These operations are usually very expensive. That’s why it is recommended that you should get pet insurance as soon as you can. In case of any accidents, any renowned pet insurance company will ensure that your dog gets the treatment it needs.

This little step could save the life of your little canine companion. So, immediately contact a pet insurance company to ensure the health and safety of your dog.

This blog post is just for informational purposes. So, don’t take it as medical advice. Kindly contact any Vet regarding the health of your pet. 

Online Vets Available 24/7
Vetster – On-Demand 24/7 Online Vet Appointments

Vetster connects pet owners to thousands of licensed veterinarians ready to provide the best online vet services through video chat appointments 24/7.

  • 24/7 online veterinary appointments (video, voice & text chat) for both urgent and non-urgent pet care concerns. You’re never alone.
  • Helps any kind of pet without restriction
  • Available in USA, UK, & Canada.
  • Easy-to-use web and mobile app (iOS and Android)
  • Vet booking is advanced with dozens of filters and tags to make the search more precise and detailed.
  • The veterinarians in the platform are experienced and can provide knowledgeable and empathetic support for your dog's care.
  • Some veterinarians can only prescribe your pet medication in a few states.
  • Sometimes calls are not immediate and must be scheduled at least 30-60 minutes in advance.
What Do We Think: Vetster helps you avoid unnecessary trips to the emergency room with their round-the-clock online care. Live care specialists are on-hand 24/7 to provide one-on-one attention to your pets. You’re never alone.
Book an Online Vet Now
We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.

Frequently Asked Questions

How Long Will It Take for My Dog to Experience Symptoms After Eating a Poisoned Mouse?

Generally, the symptoms of eating a poisoned mouse start appearing within a few days. That’s why waiting for symptoms is not a good idea. You should immediately contact the vet even if your dog isn’t having symptoms.

How Much Rat Poison Is Lethal to Dogs?

The answer to this question is not as simple as you might think. It depends on a couple of factors. Some of these factors are as follows:

– The size and age of your dog
– Existing health conditions
– When your dog ate the poisoned mouse
– How much of the poisoned mouse your dog has eaten
– The type of poison, as some are more toxic and cause more harm than others

So, even if your dog had eaten only a small part of a poisoned mouse then you should immediately take him to the vet clinic.

However, according to a rough estimate, a young and healthy dog will be able to tolerate eating a poisoned mouse that has eaten only 10 to 20 milligrams of poison. But along with eating the poisoned mouse your dog may also eat the poison that you had put down for the mouse. So, if you don’t want to risk your dog’s life then you should immediately take him to the vet.

Final Thoughts

I hope this article has helped you to get information about the side effects of eating poisoned mice in dogs. If you are in this situation then without thinking twice you should contact a vet as soon as possible.

I highly recommend that you should get a policy for your pet from a pet insurance company. In case of any accidents, they will ensure that your dog is getting enough treatment.

If you find this resource helpful then share it with your loved ones so that they can also get some benefits from it. Got some more questions about the side effects of your dog eating a poisoned mouse? Feel free to ask them in the comment section. I would love to help you out.

Pet Insurance Alternative
Eusoh Community-Based Care For Your Pet (Pet Insurance Alternative)

Eusoh ("you-so") is an innovator in the traditional life insurance industryl! It’s a community-based health sharing plan that reimburses you part of your pet’s medical expenses. It lets pet owners pool their money together and pay for each others’ expenses so that they don’t feel overwhelmed by their pets’ medical bills. It is not a standard pet insurance program, instead, it is considered one of the best alternatives to pet insurance plans. 

Discover More About Eusoh Our Review
We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
Paws up for sharing this dog-related article!
Housam Ayouni
Housam Ayouni

I am a professional in the field of canine behavior and care with many years of experience. Through my dog blog, which has reached over one million dog owners, I offer practical tips and guidance to support dog owners in creating strong, positive relationships with their pets and promoting the well-being and happiness of all dogs. My goal is to help dog owners create a harmonious and fulfilling life with their furry companions.

Articles: 381

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *