Are you looking for frozen Kong recipes for dogs that are suitable for your fido during the summer? Do you want to know how to stuff a Kong?
I’ve rounded up some important Kong fillers and ingredients that you can try with your best friend. However, I have also organized some amazing frozen Kong recipes for your facility.
You are going to learn about;
- Benefits of stuffing a Kong
- Popular Kong bases, fillers, and ingredients
- Best frozen Kong recipes for dogs and puppies
- How to clean a Kong after usage
- Alternatives to Kong toys
Whether you are going to have a new furry canine friend or already have a mature fido at your home, having some frozen Kong recipes on your fingertips will help to make pet parenting easy.
But wait, do you know everything about Kong?
If no, then let me help you to understand. Kong is actually among the best dog toys that can be stuffed or filled with various pastes, kibbles, and frozen treats, usually available in multiple shapes and textures, colors, and sizes to fit all breeds.
Moreover, you can also chew on this fantastic dog toy to promote teething in your puppy.
This classic toy is also famous for staving off the boredom of your dog by distracting their attention. The use of this fantastic toy is recommended for dogs being at risk of separation anxiety whenever you leave them home alone.
Furthermore, things will go straight forward to the stimulation of your fido’s mind when he struggles to discover the inside contents of the Kong.
There is evidence that even picky eaters love to play with this toy and ultimately start taking an interest in their food.
So, let’s analyze together the benefits of the kong.
The benefits of stuffing a Kong
Kong stuffing is one of the best and easiest ways to keep your dog stimulated mentally and physically.
Initially, your fido will face some difficulty finding the hidden treat or snack within the Kong, but gradually, he will quickly learn how to expose hidden treats after using his mind.
Therefore, this practice is more than feeding him a treat as he remains busy and does not feel alone when you are not near.
Some important benefits of stuffing a Kong are as follows;
1. A sort of entertainment
A stuffed Kong will provide your dog with charm and entertainment, as they think of it as a reward.
In this way, they will no longer feel alone but have a chewing fellow full of taste and nutrients that, in return, adds to the enjoyment.
2. Promotes slow eating
Dogs’ nature varies from individual to individual as some dogs don’t take an interest in foods (maybe it is those who want to look slim just like humans – just kidding) while others are greedy.
Therefore, using a stuffed Kong will help your fast-eating dogs to slow down.
3. Prevention from anxiety
Whenever you want to go outside and cannot take your doggy with you, there is a chance of separation anxiety.
Therefore, this yummy toy will help them feel occupied, thus alleviating your worries and permitting you to do your job correctly.
4. Mental and physical stimulation
Offering a stuffed Kong to your best friend, promises not to let him remain idle and lazy over the day.
The amazement from the Kong will store as a memory, and whenever your fido sees it again, he will start recalling how to get his reward from this mysterious toy.
5. Make use of leftovers
It is normal that people worry about healthy leftovers of their foods and don’t want to waste them at all.
Is there a better option to make their use?
Yes, you just need to know how to stuff a Kong with healthy leftovers.
Don’t worry, I’ll explain it in a later section.
6. Safety of households
Being a dog owner is not just to enjoy the happy moments with your furry friends; some of them cost you more in the form of chewing and scratching expensive household items like furniture, sofa, etc.
Therefore, a stuffed Kong will help by diverting your dog’s attention to fulfill his chewing desire instead of chewing expensive household items.
7. Make use of scavenging instinct
Another fantasy of the stuffed Kong is that it makes your dog work for his food.
The simple benefit of this practice is that it opens doors to the opportunity to use your doggy’s natural scavenging instincts.
However, dogs take time to get through, but one thing is quite sure that it keeps your furry friend out of trouble and busy.
Best bases and fillers for frozen Kong stuffing recipes
When the idea of stuffing a Kong comes to mind, you quickly start thinking about the ingredients that make it simple.
Your first step must be about the selection of the ingredient that is suitable for freezing.
That will act as your base, and then you have a choice to add other ingredients based on your desired recipe.
Here I have mentioned some bases for Kong stuffing.
1. Strong bought
This famous Kong stuffing item is known in the dog’s world as Cheez Whiz and is available at pet stores in spray cans that are easy to use. It comes in various flavors which is another bright side.
2. Peanut butter
Peanut butter is widely available and used in Kong stuffers because of its appealing taste, stickiness, and texture. Moreover, the other reason behind its popularity is its long-lasting challenge for your doggo.
*note: make sure of the absence of Xylitol
One of the positive aspects of broth stuffing is there is an easy freezing option. The most commonly used broths are beef and chicken.
Moreover, after dabbing peanut butter on one side, you can fill your Kong with the liquid (after flipping upside down) and then freeze it.
Yogurt is also among the most popular Kong stuffing items, and people love to stuff the Kongs of their healthy dogs with yogurt.
5. Canned dog food
You can wisely use canned dog food as a base of the Kong.
*tip for puppies: You can use some frozen beef or chicken broth (of low sodium) as Kong filler for your furry balls. It will also offer its services as a teething toy for your little pup.
6. Cooked ground meat
Ground meats like chicken, turkey, and beef are best suited for Kong filler options. You can choose one of them depending on the stomach sensitivities of your dog.
Moreover, you can prevent your hands from getting greasy by using this baby spoon.
7. Canned fish
Certain types of fish like tuna, spam, and sardines that are safe for dogs are excellent ingredients for Kong filling.
Fish oil will benefit your best friend by promoting skin and coat health.
*note: avoid excessively seasoned options and those containing onions and garlic.
8. Cat food
An extra-tempting option for your picky eater is cat food which is also best for Kong filling.
Just like meat pastes, some cat foods have excellent consistency that makes them suitable for Kong sealers.
9. Meat pates
Meat pates are also a good Kong filling option for your fido, but the major issue is its availability.
If you have an opportunity to find them at a pet store or a grocery store, you must try it.
10. Apple sauce
It is a common practice to add some extra nutrients to Kong fillings and also to thin out the greasy and viscous Kong filling materials.
You can use several types like Ricotta cheese, Cream cheese, Squeeze Cheese, and Cottage cheese to enhance the taste of your dog’s snack.
However, cheese cannot replace a meal for your dog, but instead is used to enhance flavor.
Moreover, you have many options in the form of ready-made commercial Kong fillers.
Best ingredients for frozen Kong stuffing recipes
Besides all the commercially available Kong fillers, you can choose to stuff them with healthy and safe ingredients. For your ease, I’ve arranged certain healthy Kong filling ingredients in different categories to answer your question “how to stuff a Kong?”.
So, you can choose one ingredient from each category and make your own innovative Kong filling recipe.
You can suppose this section of Kong stuffing ingredients into a Chipotle for your fido’s Kongs.
- Bell peppers
- Brussels sprouts
- Corn kernels
- Green beans
- Potatoes (without skin)
- Swiss chard
- Sweet potato (without skin)
- Orange slices
3. Savory foods
- Apple sauce
- Baby food for dogs
- Cheese slices
- Cream cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Dog treats
- Dog kibbles
- Peanut butter
- Quail eggs
- Rice (boiled)
- String cheese
- Yogurt (Plain or Greek)
- Beef jerky
- Chicken jerky
- Chicken hearts
- Chicken (diced)
- Hot dog
- Liver pate
- Liver (freeze)
- Leftover meat (avoid bones and spices)
- Bone broth (low sodium)
- Beef broth
- Coconut water
- Chicken broth
- Ice-cream (without sugars or Xylitol)
- Whipped cream
Best frozen Kong recipes for dogs and puppies
Here you will learn about frozen Kong recipes for your dog that will keep them cool during hot summer days.
Take a pro-tip that in some recipes, yogurt is used, which may not be appropriate for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
Therefore, for such dogs, you can use apple sauce (unsweetened) instead.
Moreover, make sure all the ingredients you are using are free of added sugars, spices or xylitol.
A) Easy frozen Kong recipes
- Peanut butter (unsweetened) = 3 globs
- Dry dog food (kibbles) = small handful
- Chicken broth = 1-2 tablespoons
- Place one glob of peanut butter into the Kong
- Sprinkle a small amount of dry dog food over it
- Pour chicken broth into the Kong
- Place another glob of peanut butter
- Sprinkle another layer of dry dog food
- Lastly, seal the open end of the Kong using a third glob of peanut butter
- Place it in the freezer and wait until it is solid
2. Minty Freeze
- Plain or Greek yogurt = 1 cup
- Fresh mint = small palmful
- Fresh parsley = small palmful
- First of all, put parsley, mint, and yogurt into the food blender
- Blend these ingredients until they are evenly mixed
- Pour the mixture into the Kong
- Put it in the freezer and wait for its complete freezing
3. Savory Chicken Dinner
- Shredded chicken (cooked) = 1/2 cup
- Carrots and peas (chocked) = 1/2 cup
- Mashed potato = 2-3 tablespoons
- Firstly, put mashed potato into the Kong
- Secondly, add shredded chicken
- Thirdly, sprinkle some chopped carrots and peas
- Fourthly, repeat this process layer by layer until the Kong is full
- Lastly, seal the opening using mashed potatoes and freeze it.
B) Long-lasting frozen Kong recipes
The simple trick to make your Kong recipes last longer, use some liquid items in the recipe that can freeze well.
You can also keep your dog busy for a longer duration by using some greasy ingredients.
1. Frozen Bonz
- Banana = 1
- Apple sauce (unsweetened) = 2 tablespoons
- Peanut butter (unsweetened) = 1 tablespoon
- Plain yogurt = 1 tablespoon
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl
- Blend them well until they get mixed thoroughly
- Then spoon the mixture slowly into your dog’s Kong
- Freeze until it is solid
2. Frozen dairy-free puppy yogurt
- Coconut milk = 12 ounce
- Peanut butter (unsweetened) = 1/2 cup
- Carrot (chopped) = 1/2 cup
- Probiotic capsule = 4
- Maple syrup = 1 teaspoon
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend them
- Then pour this mixture into the Kong
- Place the Kong in a freezer
C) Vegetarian & Vegan frozen Kong recipes
1. Guacamole for dogs
- Seeds = 1 tablespoon
- Banana (chopped) = 4 slices
- Cucumber = 2 slices
- Plain yogurt = 1 tablespoon
- Chlorella = 1 tablespoon
- Wheatgrass powder = 1 tablespoon
- First of all, crush the seeds in a bowl
- Add slices of banana and mix well
- Then add cucumber slices and mix thoroughly
- Then add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth
- Spoon this mixture into your dog’s Kong and freeze
2. Green bean and pumpkin Kong
- Green beans = 1 tablespoon
- Pumpkin = 1 tablespoon
- Cottage cheese = 1 tablespoon
- Take a large mixing bowl and put all the ingredients in it
- Blend them well until all the ingredients mix completely
- Pour the mixture into the Kong
- Freeze it and serve
How to clean a Kong after usage
- First of all, rinse the Kong with warm water and make use of dish soap
- In case of stubborn treats, soak them in warm water for some time
- Scrub the inside of the Kong using an old toothbrush or bottle brush
- Make sure the through washing with tap water
- Don’t be afraid of dish soap, as all top-quality Kongs are resistant to the dishwasher
Good alternatives to Kong Toys
There are some excellent alternatives to Kong toys that are listed below;
Which Kong is the right one for my dog?
Kongs of different sizes, shapes, colors, and textures are available on the market. Make sure the top quality and durability of your dog’s Kong before purchasing. Buy that one that fits your dog’s mouth properly.
Can I put a Kong in the freezer without a problem?
You can place the Kong into the freezer without any hesitation. It will be best if you first place it into a freezer bag to ensure the firmness of the ingredients inside.
How can I make my Kong last longer?
You can make your dog’s Kong last for a longer duration by stuffing sweet potatoes, bananas, blueberries, and canned dog food layer by layer. Moreover, making use of liquid ingredients will ensure long-lasting.
What can I freeze in my dog’s Kong?
You can freeze whatever is safe and healthy for your doggy in the Kong. From peanut butter, apple sauce, and dog treats to dry and wet dog foods, yogurt and much more.
How often can I give my dog a Kong?
You can offer a stuffed Kong to your dog every day by adjusting and estimating the daily caloric requirements of your dog.
Can I use a frozen Kong while crate training my puppy?
Yes, you can make use of a frozen Kong while crate training your puppy. In fact, it is highly appreciated, and placing or attaching a Kong to the crate will make your puppy enjoy its training session.
The use of a stuffed Kong is entirely based on knowing how to stuff a Kong properly along with Kong recipes for dogs.
In this article, I discussed some benefits of Kongs and some important frozen Kong stuffing recipes for your best friend.
That being said, there is nothing left but to thank you for your attention up to this point.
I hope I have been helpful, and I wish you many moments of joy and satisfaction in the company of your beloved dog.
Of course, if you have any questions or concerns along the way don’t hesitate to contact me.
Until next time!